suwhat: Dresses Fit for a Queen

Dresses Fit for a Queen

10:48 PM

angela clayton
photo © Angela Clayton

I found this gem from BuzzFeed as I browsed through my facebook feed and I immediately just had to check her out.

Remember me talking about cosplay being part of craft as an artform? Well Angela Clayton just took it up a notch for me.

She's a budding costume designer from New York and her work ranges from intricate full-body dresses or to small, detailed head pieces. She started off making tribute dresses to her favorite fictional characters ranging from Appa from Avatar: Legends of Aang to Vlad Teppes of Hellsing. As she matured, more and more of her inspiration came from historical figures and paintings, from Napoleon Bonaparte to the Renaissance.

Angela Clayton
photo © Anna Fischer

The ensemble she creates along with her custom-made dresses elevates her hobby to more than an artform but to a genuine medium of self-expression. The dresses alone turn heads but with her stunning makeup, accessories, and cleverly maintained, styled, and colored wigs, it genuinely makes a lasting impression.

To top it off, she has an eye for composition. The props she uses and even the set that she chooses to use as the background for her photoshoots not only look pretty, but they enhance both the model and the elements designed into the dress only emphasizing the meticulous detail poured into every piece.

Angela Clayton

It was wonderful for me to see her development, the thought she puts into every outfit and design, and the fact that she looks fabulous modeling her own dresses. 

I know there are tons of talented freelance dressmakers out there in the world, and I'm not saying Angela is better than the rest just because she dabbles in a style aligned to my tastes; but I am praising her keen eye for detail and choice to look back and create more traditional pieces that give tribute to what once was.

Do you have a your own favorite dressmaker?

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I don't have a favorite dressmaker but wow Angela's creations are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't have one too. But I guess I have one now!

      Delete
  2. Wow these are great! For now I don't have a favorite dressmaker but if costumes/cosplay/role playing is concerned, my BFF does amazing designs and I always feel in awe when I see her works come to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it takes quite a lot of skill, and not to mention - patience when it comes to craft like this. I hope you get to inspire your BFF in her craft, it would mean a lot!

      Delete
  3. Whoa her work is amazing! I used to cosplay but I never designed or sewed anything on my own. I have friends who are very good at DIY, though. I wish I had their skills and patience :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with just the right amount of passion and frustration and taking the time to actually do it, we are bound to acquire the skill. Experts were beginners to begin with afterall.

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to photograph this kind of dress/costume. I always admire creativity and attention to details. She looks beautifully surreal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking that If royal attires become mainstream normal wear, I'd wear one to the office! ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too! but imagine the time it takes to get ready, better yet, having to ride in jeepneys with these.

      Delete
  6. These wears are just great!!! I just can't seem to see myself wearing such regal outfits, but hey, I think I can! I dont have the talent so sew my own designs but IF I did, you will see me wearing it from time to time, chin up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Het designs are amazing. The set looks fantastic too. Wish to photograph themes like these. The closest one I did was a prenup shoot and the theme was Victorian.
    www.kiatcebu.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Products